Block A, Centre House
Friday 4th May 2012
Barbecue manufacturers are being urged to put safety notices on grills to help prevent camping-related carbon monoxide tragedies.
Founder and president of charity Carbon Monoxide Awareness, Lynne Griffiths, is urging manufacturers to include warning notices to deter people from taking barbecues into tents, caravans, or campervans ahead of the bank holiday weekend.
The call comes after several incidents where campers have died through exposure to the odourless gas after taking lit barbecues into tents or caravans for warmth.
Ms Griffiths said: "Nobody should ever take a barbecue indoors. To do so is courting disaster, but the public don't seem to be aware of this and sadly there have been a number of tragedies and several near misses in recent years. Please don't let this happen again."
Ms Griffiths will be holding a meeting to discuss carbon monoxide safety at caravan, camping, or music festival holiday breaks in June.
She is also planning to take the Aintree-based charity's Be Carbon Monoxide Aware Camping And Caravan Sites Register national.
Carbon Monoxide gas, which is colourless and has no taste or smell, has symptoms similar to flu and reduces the blood's capacity to carry oxygen, thereby causing the vital organs to fail.
We are delighted to announce that we have pledged our support to Step Up To Serve-a new independent…Find out more
Delegates from charities and voluntary organisations across south west England and south Wales travelled to Bristol's M Shed…Find out more
Understand the basics of social media with this practical introduction to social networking. Get started with the tools, concepts and…Book now
Building online communities Make real connections with people using your social networks and websites, build trust and engagement and…Book now